Wednesday, September 17, 2008

I (Beckie), was very encouraged by my group today. I was giving Bible study, and was really struggling to find the right words in Portuguese. My co-leader was helping me and the boys were listening intently. Towards the end I felt like I muddled things up and wasn't being very clear, so I asked Felipe to explain the bits that weren't clear. One of the boys was obviously aware of what I was saying and he said to me, "but you told everything right." I took this as a big compliment by him.
So, I will plod on learning Portuguese, hopefully learning to use the verb tenses more automatically, and soon I hope to be able to express things better. However, I'm glad to have these opportunities to try with what I know already and have these encouraging words from my group.

1 comment:

Roger and Mary said...

So glad to hear you are having some encouragements whilst you soldier on! Great that the boys can really grow in their trust in God over practical things like the giving and receiving involved in sending the consignment of goodies. Where did all the donations come from? What an amazing mission to be undertaking -you will be looking forward to hearing how it all goes (and remembering your challenging experiences when you were on your placement!).

Well done for the progress in Portuguese. Grammar lessons sound deadly, tho'!