Monday, September 20, 2010

Are you like me (Beckie)? I want to continually hear the confirmation of God in what I do, where I am etc. Many times I wonder if God has directed me in something else and I've failed to hear it. I seem to have a problem of a mid-year slump when I wonder if I'm doing what God wants me to do. That said, I'm not miserable or depressed, I just find myself questioning what I do and where I'm going. I also realise that sometimes, I put too much focus on 'doing' and not enough on 'being'.
I ask questions such as "is what I do able to make a difference?" "is what I do actually making a difference?" "will these children grow up to know who Jesus is?" "will the families be reached?" "is there another way?" "is the cost of being here worth it?". I get anxious to know that God is at work in the lives of these children and their families. I want to see more results.
I found myself telling God how I was feeling, that I needed Him to say to me again exactly what I should do, or to show me more results. I know I shouldn't demand God do things the way I want Him to, or respond when I want Him to, but I asked.
I have recently been reading the book of Isaiah, always fascinating (particularly as I'm trying to read in Portuguese), but many times I don't understand. At the weekend I read:

Isaiah 49:4 (New International Version)

But I said, "I have laboured to no purpose;
I have spent my strength in vain and for nothing.
Yet what is due me is in the LORD's hand,
and my reward is with my God."

It confirmed to me that many times we don't know how we are being used by God, many times we think it's about our own effort, many times we get frustrated (even Isaiah felt this), many times we won't see the fruit. Yet, I clearly felt God wanted me to be at peace with this, that the work I do (and the results I see) are in His hands.

A bit of a long post, I'm afraid, but maybe you too have wrestled with some of these thoughts.

No comments: