Thursday, July 2, 2009

Today at the Lighthouse we were visited by a famous Brazilian Christian singer (I had no idea who she was) who was here to make her next music video set in a favela. I saw her miming her song in front of a camera with the favela in the background for some of it, then she went for a walk around the community with a local pastor and some of the lighthouse team (for security reasons). The thing is.....I do not know what to make of this. As I saw her walking in the street with her camera crew, miming the song, she would stop and hug children and talk to people which would give the watcher the impression that she is a loving caring person and that this is what she does. To me, it looked like she was using these people for her own ends. I don´t know. What do you think? I was confused that a Christian singer would view people in that way....maybe she doesn´t and I´m just making assumptions. However, I do not think that she comes into favelas often or is willing to readily associate with these favela-folk in her ´normal´life. It all looked like a complete pretentious sham. Comments welcome.

2 comments:

ghoti said...

yesssssss, rather interesante!
I do quite agree with the pretentious, fakeness of it all (well I don't agree with it being like that, but I know what you mean!).
but maybe if it gives more people a heart for the needy, then it could be a good thing.
we miss you guys!!!!

Roger and Mary said...

Would have been good to have chance to discuss with the singer. If she's truly the Lord's a not just a singer who sings Christian songs, then she may have good motives, even if working in the favela is not her 'calling'.

I find celebrity 'do-gooding' cringe-making, but as we only see such a small glimpse of what they do via the media, it's perhaps wrong of me to make surface judgements without knowing what goes on in the rest of their lives or hearts.

Interesting discussion topic! Love M.