Tuesday, April 20, 2010

I don´t know about you, but sometimes when I (Dave) think about moments in my life certain images come to mind. Yesterday, I saw something which I think I will always remember. Maarten, a Dutch volunteer and I visited someone who we normally spend some time with and while we were there we were told about a house which was burnt down so we decided to go and see if we could help in some way. What we saw was a house (more like a room than a house) with no roof and a thick layer of burnt stuff on the floor, including a melted fridge and some fragments of burnt cloths. In the house was a lady who was searching through the items looking for anything which was salvageable with tears in her eyes.....it was as if she was looking for hope. For me, this was a really striking image.....seeing this lady who was poor anyway but had lost EVERYTHING in the fire and all she had left was the clothes on her body. No-one was hurt in the fire. Another part of the image was the onlookers. They did just that - looked. We were able to pray with her and are now in the process of getting some building materials to her so her house can be rebuilt.

No comments: