Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Yesterday I (Beckie) messed up an opportunity to give Jesus some clothes.
I had been out for an evening with a friend from another house here, we both popped into the bank to get some money out, as we climbed the steps there was a homeless woman huddled on the steps.
I thought she would ask me for money on my way out and had begun to wonder how I would respond. As I left (without money as the bank often doesn't allow us to withdraw money), I already had my answer. Then she asked me, "Can you give me some trousers or a jumper?". This wasn't what I had expected, of course I couldn't give her trousers, you can't get home without trousers, can you? A jumper? I had a thin jumper with me, it is one of my favourites, you know the sort that goes with everything? I didn't want to give her my jumper.
I left, and walked on, but I had such a conviction of Matthew 25:34-46....I had an opportunity to clothe Jesus, and I had walked away, because of selfish motives, I liked my jumper, but she needed it.
I had to return, I still didn't want to, but sadly when I returned, she had gone.
I pray that God will continue to expose my selfish heart, so that I can change.

2 comments:

Roger and Mary said...

Wow, how challenging! I guess you'll always remember that lady when you wear THE jumper, and she will get prayed for when you do.

Not sure how I would have reacted -not well, most probably.

Love to all R and M

S said...

I think those are the kind of moments that God really uses to convict us and change us. Of course we can't go back and re-do that specific situation, but having experienced that, we know how we want to and ought to respond the next time we are in a similar situation.