Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Sorry we've not been able to update recently. The internet here is very irratic, sometimes non-existent, sometimes only loads up half a page and sometimes it is incredibly patience growing.
This last week we have been cultivating a garden for the community to grow their own vegetables. It has been great to do something really physical, which doesn't require much thinking or Portuguese speaking. Some of the children came to help us, they really like getting attention from us, and will come here whenever they are not at school, and we are around. This is good at times, but also has it's difficulties. Do we need our own space away from the children we work with? Does that mean that our hearts are cold to their needs? What is the best way of doing this? Should we be feeding the children that keep coming here? Of course they come more often when we feed them...but, they have far less food than we do, so why are we sometimes so reluctant to share what we have?
I have just begun reading 'there's always enough' (by Heidi and Rolland Baker) again and once again I am challenged by their selfless attitudes. They have been willing to give out everything, and beyond that, giving what God gives to them. I want to utterly depend on God for everything, and I know that lots of you already think we do...but really we don't. We are able to do so much in our own strength....I want to think differently and love differently. This is something I cannot do on my own. When will God totally break away from me all of my worldly attitudes, what do I need to do? I don't want to make excuses. I now that there is so much more that can be done, here and in other places, EVERYWHERE.

1 comment:

Roger and Mary said...

Thanks for sharing - these are huge issues, aren't they? Didn't Jesus need time away from everyone and demands on him sometimes? Glad you've had the chance to do some gardening - with or without extra 'helpers'! What a great idea to get some vegetables growing. Glad you're able to blog again! Love, R and M