Saturday, November 1, 2008


This last week I (Beckie) have been challenged about my heart for this community. We have a mango tree right next to our gate, and it is currently growing some mangos. This attracts a lot of attention, particularly from some of the boys who love mangos so much that they will eat them whilst they are small and green. Our house is the only building near this gate. So, this last week every afternoon we have had groups of boys jumping the wall and trying to get mangos. I have been getting so fed up with chasing them out and listening to their many excuses. However, these are some of the children I am here for, yet my heart is annoyed by their behaviour. I was really made aware of it when the gate was banging and I reluctantly answered it. Standing there was a lovely lady who had left her Bible here and wanted to be able to read it again as soon as possible. I was not very keen to help, and then I realised that my heart was cold, I really had to repent. How do I expect the people here to really know who God is when I am so quickly irritated, and lacking in love as I speak to them.
Maybe next week I will have another opportunity to deal with them in a way that allows God to give me His love for them. I am reminded of the Bible verse (Prov 4.23) which says "above all else guard your heart for it is the wellspring of life."

No comments: